Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Lantana As A Nectar Plant

Hello All, Today I have elected to use a butterfly nectar plant as the background for butterflies. The Lantana is a tropical plant, however it can be grown as an annual far north of its'  native range. I grow over a dozen Lantanas each summer, however I must dig each one up and store it in my basement over the winter months. Some plants stay in large plastic pots (5 gallon size) and are more easily taken in each fall. The roots usually grow through the drain holes in the bottom and must be severed when digging. Lantana self seed quite readily and I find many, literally dozens of volunteer plants coming up each summer. My stone parking area is where I trim the limbs off in the fall and hence many seeds fall in this area. I usually let these grow to produce flowers and they get to be about two feet squared per plant easily. Upon retrieving the Lantana background plants I find that I photographed mostly Fiery Skippers. I must focus more on other species this year upcoming. Have a great day, Denis

                                               Clouded Sulphur



Tawny Edged Skipper


Pearl Crescent on Butterfly Weed


Painted Lady


All Fiery Skppers











0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home